Energy Assessments – Overview

Key Points

  • Energy assessments, in the form of a registered Energy Performance Certificate is required before a property can be advertised for rental, sale, or letting.
  • Energy Performance Certificates are required on Residential properties, Commercial properties, and Holiday lets.
  • Energy Performance Certificates last for 10 years from the date of issue unless replaced by a later certificate, whichever earlier.
  • Energy Performance Certificates are required for most properties.
  • It is the duty of the owner of the property, the person letting or disposing of the property, or the person acting on their behalf – like an estate agent or letting agent, to make sure a valid Energy Performance Certificate exists or has been arranged.
  • Energy Performance Certificates can also be required before tenants can be evicted, a Court of Protection Order has been served, or such other instances as decided by legal bodies.

What is an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)?

An EPC is a legal document authorised and owned by HM Government that numerically rates a property into bands from A to G, A being excellent G being anything but.

An EPC demonstrates to a prospective purchaser or tenant the energy efficiency of a property, allowing the purchaser or tenant to make informed decisions about the purchase or rental.

An EPC demonstrates to a prospective lender providing funds to purchase or develop a property the potential long term marketability of the property, and whether funds should be lent against it.


Which properties are exempt?

Properties with listed status – but if being sold, certain types of agricultural and industrial buildings, buildings scheduled for demolition which have all the demolition paperwork in place, stand-alone properties which are 50m2 or less. Listed properties which are to be rented are not exempt.


Are properties owned by Charities, Housing Associations, or Social Housing Providers exempt?

No.  There is no exemption to the requirement for Energy Performance Certificates for properties owned by Charities, Housing Associations, or Social Housing providers, Trusts or similar organisations, whether the occupation is granted by a lease, tenancy agreement, or licenced occupation.  Casual use of parts of non-domestic properties for periods of hours on a non-recurring basis generally do not require Energy Performance Certificates, but if there is any doubt independent legal advice should be sought and recorded.


Does an EPC have to have a minimum Energy Certificate rating?

For Sale, No.

For rental, letting or tenancy, not up to the 1 April 2018, but since when properties in EPC Bands F or G cannot generally be let until the property has been improved to place it in Band E or better.


What does an energy assessment involve?

A site visit by an Energy Assessor, who will examine the building fabric, installed building services, glazing and lighting, conditioning system and controllers, ventilation systems, utility meters, and layout of the conditioned space.


How long does an energy assessment take?

It will depend on the building and premises.

No energy assessment, even for the smallest single roomed bedsit will take less than an hour, with large residential properties taking several hours or even all day.  Energy assessments of large non-domestic properties can take days just to collect the data.


What Information will I be asked to provide to the Energy Assessor?

Detailed information regarding any improvements which have been made to the property, such as extensions, modifications, glazing, solar thermal systems installed, wind turbines installed, or photo-voltaic arrays installed.  Builders and installers detailed completion certificates will be sought, if it exists site of any Building Log Book, and relevant installation manuals.


If in doubt as to what may be required, contact West London Energy Assessors for guidance using the ‘Contact Form